Thursday, October 4, 2007

Zinc Bar Reading

This past Sunday, I rode into the city to see one of my very best good friends, Jen, read with two other excellent poets at the Zinc Bar Reading Series. It was October 1 and 78 degrees in Brooklyn. Beautiful but strange weather for this time of year.

Jen read with two other poets, Chris Martin and MacGreggor Card. Hosted by poetry impressario, Jim Behrle, the Zinc Bar readings are usually quite good and often entertaining to boot.

Jen's poetry always climbs inside my head and tries to drive me around like I'm a giant robot and her poetry is the driver. This night, she made me want to go home and get writing. It was a good time. Here is an animation of one of the poems she read that night. It's about Pluto and is speedy so listen fast!

The Manhattan Bridge is still under some kind of renovation. Unbeknownst to me, it looks as though the north bike path has re-opened. This is good news. Excellent news. Super special candy coated news. Less congestion on the bridge and hopefully less pedestrian traffic since the southern side is more photogenic. As I was crossing Sunday night on the south side, all of the floor plates were flipped up and workers were crawling around in the wiring high above the East River. I kept getting flags in my face to slow down. I suppose it wouldn't be good to bike into one of those open holes. I'm so glad to hear the north path is open again.

No comments: