Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Best Sci-Fi Album Covers, Part 2

Autograph, That's The Stuff—1985

I’m really very sorry for all of The Sarah Conner Chronicles' Cameron fans. I’m doubly sorry for all of you BSG Caprica fans, but the bot pictured in this 1985 album cover for Autograph’s That’s The Stuff is the second most sexy ROBOT ever. The first of course is the robot from Metropolis (also best mad scientist ever). The only reason this robot is being marginally modest with the t-shirt is to get a mid-80s Tipper Gore off of the bands back. We didn't see much of this lovely lady after That's the Stuff. Heck, we didn't see much more of Autograph after that. It does look like she was whored out re-purposed 18 years later to Aerosmith. She still looks pretty good on the cover of Just Press Play. But the cheesy Monroe nod? So lame. And the high polish etchttoo? So trendy. I guess that is one advantage of being a robot. If you don't like your etchtoo, you can get that thing sandblasted right off.


Autograph has at least one semi listenable song in their oeuvre. "Turn Up The Radio" was a staple on the radio when I was in the 9th grade. With lyrics like

I'm working hard.
you're working too.
We do it every day.
For every minute I have to work.
I need a minute of play.
Day in day out, all week long
things go better with rock...

Wow. Lyric gold. You really can't go wrong with this song.

I didn't remember the video, but after watching it, I have to say it is worth watching. Of special note is the mechanical pencil they use to "sign in." It's the same mechanical pencil I used in my 9th grade algebra class. The band appears to employ robotic roadies or something that appear to be the same model line as the robot above. Check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.