Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Best Sci-Fi Album Covers, Part 1


Lately and for no reason at all, I’ve become obsessed with album covers that exhibit definite sci-fi tendencies. Actually, I think I’m interested in why a certain population of purveyors of popular music are so damned interested…at least visually…in the speculative, the futuristic, and the fantastic. So I’ve done a bit of research and want to present my favorite “sci-fi” album covers. I’ve disqualified patent supernatural images of demons or dragons else the list would be far too long. So sorry Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, and Dio. The band Hawkwind deserves it’s own individual attention so I’m not including them here. So, in no particular order…

Judas Priest, Screaming for Vengeance—1982Sneaky, snarky, and one of the few transformers to actually sound like a robot, Soundwave was my favorite old school Decepticon. One of Soundwave’s coolest features were the tricked out audio cassettes living in it’s chest which would transform into a mélange of animal transformers. The coolest of these was Lazerbeak, which brings us to Judas Priest. This cover is sci-fierce! This mechanical bird of prey reminds me of Lazerbeak, but in a head to head battle between the two, I’d have to choose this guy. It was tough to choose between this Judas Priest album cover and Defenders of the Faith, which features an awesome Voltron-esque tank thing. But SfV has the track "You've Got Another Thing Coming," which beats the hell out of anything on DotF. For fun…check out Judas Priest video for “Turbo Lover.” It is one of the best videos EVER made…kind of a cross between T2/Mad Max…Ah hell, this video is in a league of its own. Rob Halford is no joke.

Stay tuned tomorrow for some human robot action.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.