Monday, July 9, 2007

Ashland, Wisconsin

Today I'm in Ashland, WI. Imagine the western end of Lake Superior as a giant sock puppet. If you could grow your right hand into an enormous right hand and slide it into the sock puppet in front of you, Ashland would be at the tip of the thumb, or at the tip of the lower lip of the sock puppet. Or you could just go to the link above and see for yourself. As far as I know it's still a free country so you can do what you want. Either way you won't be letting the terrorists win, that's for sure.

Okay...I'm a little grousy today because just before I found the City of Ashland's Library, I was passed by an emergency vehicle registered to Ashland County. On the back was the all-too familiar war cry 9/11 We Will Never Forget. Well thanks, County of Ashland, for doing your part. I feel all warm and fuzzy now. Actually, it made me want to pull up to the driver and quiz him/her as to exactly how much they remember about that beautiful sunny September Tuesday. Meh. Whatever.

Just before I saw the offending vehicle, I stopped at a U-pick-em strawberry patch and scored a quart of freshly picked strawberries. Oh but they were good. I ate the whole dang thing, then and there. Met some folks from Marquette, Michigan who invited me to get in touch with them when I pass through there in the next couple of days. They even hinted at offering me a place to stay. We'll see.

Did I mention that I'm trying to do a bluegrass arrangement of Love and Rockets "I'm Alive" in my head? It's really cool and has 4-part harmony. Perhaps when I get back to NYC, I can find some folk to play music with. I've been thinking that I could devote some more time to the banjer.

Also, I listened to Prairie Home Companion on the radio a couple of nights ago, when I was smack dab in the middle of what the town of Lake Wobegon is based on. It was very meta and very quaint, and I almost lost my dinner it was so quaint.

Next time I have a chance to actually write an entry, I'm going to share my thoughts on the meaning of life. Fer Realz.

No comments: