Monday, July 16, 2007

Highway 17 in Canada is D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S

Today, I'm in Espanola, Ontario and boy, I've never been more happy to leave a particular stretch of road as Highway 17 in Canada. Since it's the only trans-Canadian highway running through this part of Canada, it gets all of the 18-wheeler traffic. This wouldn't normally be a problem, but most of Highway 17 from Sault Ste Marie to Espanola is 2 lanes. Worst of all, there's barely any paved shoulder...I mean barely any...and what shoulder there is drops off about 2 inches into soft gravel. Soft gravel is not something you want to ride into on a fully loaded bike. Lots of close calls yesterday and today, but both the bike and I made it through in one piece.

Tomorrow, I head for Manitoulin Island, what I hope to be a really really beautiful stretch of Lake Huron shoreline. I take a ferry from South Baymouth to Tobemoy and from there I'm heading for Niagra Falls. I should be in New York State by this Thursday. I think I'm a little ahead of schedule.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We spend our summers just north of this Hwy and travel it often. With TOP and other local maps, it is possible to travel secondary roads north of Hwy 17 for a good part of your bike journey from the Soo to Espanola. We recommend you do that, even if it takes longer. This person is right - not a highway for cyclists. Period.