Monday, June 18, 2007

Dispatch #7: Next Stop, The Rockies

Today I am in Sandpoint, Idaho.

I crossed the Idaho state line yesterday around 2:30 in the afternoon. I had planned on taking the day off, but I started to get a little anxious to get moving after about 2 hours of being awake in camp and watching rain clouds gather. It's been about 200 miles since my last report. Here's what's happened over the last few days.

Friday, June 15
Tonasket to Ferry County Fairgrounds (3 mi. east of Republic)
in the saddle: 4:24:31
td: 46.08
as: 10.4
max: 32.5
odo: 433

I forgot to include the stats in my last post. I also forgot to mention that I caught up with Mark and Cindy again. Or they caught up with me. Cindy bought us breakfast in Colville. Nice folk. They'll get their own post once I'm able to download some pix.

Saturday, June 16
Republic to Ione, WA
in the saddle: 7:45:10
td: 94.88 miles
as: 12.2
max 35
odo: 528

Crossing Sherman pass wasn't so bad--as bad as other of these climbs. I think my body is getting used to it all. I was in the saddle a very long time. Nearly 8 hours. I had and still have pretty sore sit bones.

After Sherman Pass there was another climb. On the map, it didn't look like much, but turned out to be one of my least favorite rides so far on this trip. That said, the last 15 miles of the ride were fantastic. I'm talking 7% downhill grade with hairpin turns and wild turkeys cruising the shoulders. I tried to stop and take a picture of one b/c I was so excited and nearly fell over the handlebars of the bike. I can read the epitaph now--Here lies Ethan, He died trying to take a photo of a turkey.

Sunday, June 16
Ione, WA to Sandpoint, ID
in the saddle: 6:48:33
td: 92:12
as: 13.5
max: 33.3
odo: 620

Today was a good, if long, day riding. The terrain was mostly flat and the shoulders of the road were okay. I stayed in a divey hotel the night before because I had stayed the past 3 nights in a tent and jeez, needed a change. Got up. Took a shower and hit the road. The next 51 miles were spent on the east side of the Pend Oreille River on this supernatually lonely road called N. LeClerc Rd. Very little traffic on this father's day. It was almost as if I had my very own bike path.

Once I hit the Idaho border, I decided to push through and bike another 30 miles to Sandpoint. I'm glad I did. It's nice to wake up a little farther down the line than you thought you would be.

Today is going to be a short day. It's 10:30 in the morning here and I'll probably bike between 30 and 40 miles today. Looking forward to Montana and the Rockies.

There has been absolutely NO roadkill for the past 250 miles. It's strange.

No comments: