Saturday, June 9, 2007

This Has Nothing to Do With Cycling

A little more than two weeks ago, right before leaving for Seattle, a package arrived in the mail. The return address identified the sender as my nephew Mark. The notebook! It had finally arrived.

Mark takes old album covers and turns them into journal notebook covers. He showed some to me the last time I was in North Carolina and I was really impressed. He had a pretty decent collection of vintage covers to choose from and I jokingly asked if he had, in his library Whipped Cream & Other Delights. Turns out, he did. I unwrapped the package and there it was, a beautiful 7 x 9 notebook with said album cover perfectly cropped. That is...nothing is missing that can't already be missed. Or do you miss my meaning?

I remember this album being one of a very few albums that my parents owned. I also remember not liking this album for the music. In fact, I don't think I ever played it on our stereo system. I didn't actually become familiar with the Tijuana Brass until I was an adult.

It's a notebook I'll prize for a long time. It ended up being too heavy to bring with me on the trip however. Mark has about a dozem more examples of his handy work here.

They're available for order too, I think. I've been meaning to get to mention of Mark's handiwork for a while now. He's a sharp tack, that Mark.

No comments: